Pages

04 August 2013

A+1

The day after I arrived in Australia and I think I may have beaten jet lag. Yesterday I was able to stay awake with not much opposition until it came to a normal bed time and I woke up bright and early at 7, after gaining 10 hours of sleep. The truth will come later, but as of right now, I'm in Australia and feeling great! :D It's winter right now, so a little chilly, I think I can compare the current weather to late October back in CT.

After showering and getting dressed, I sat down to breakfast with Rohan and Pauline, and tried vegemite for the first time! My thoughts about it: its definitely different, but its not bad. Upon my first bite I thought it was nice, but not something I would like to eat regularly, but after then it did seem to taste better. I think it's something that I will have to get used to but won't be bad. I feel like my first bite wasn't the most pleasant because it was so different and new to my palate.

Now, back to my arrival: I really enjoyed my flight. It was a 14 hour plane ride, but it went by pretty quick and the 2 meals Qantas served were great for "plane food." I think they were even better than some restaurants serve back in the States, definitely better than diner food. All the crew were very friendly and welcoming and made for a pleasant ride. When I landed though, things didn't go quite as smooth, I got through Customs and Immigration nicely, but not through baggage claim. I waited at the carousel for about 40 minutes before it was made known that there were no more bags on the plane, and mine was not there. So I had to spend the next 15 minutes claiming it, and at least I received $100 mastercard from the airline. But the bags will be in today, I just found out!

Upon getting all that straightened out, I was greeted warmly by Rohan, he brought me back to his hotel so I could shower (finally, after 3 days!) and change. Then we briefly explored around the Opera House and harbor, before taking a nice, but long, drive down to Moruya, my new home! For this week I'll be staying with Rohan and Pauline, who have been very kind so far and have made my first day very enjoyable. Pics will be up later.

No comments: