Pages

11 September 2013

A MONTH!!!!

I previously had a very long post explaining how great this past month has been, and describing the past two weeks. Although, after never finding the time to write it, once I finally did this morning, when I went to publish the post, I lost it all but the first two paragraphs, and I don't have the heart to rewrite it all, so I saved what I have, and I might finish it some time in the future, but for now, it's on the back burner and I'm skipping over the two weeks in terms of detail. I'll just very briefly describe the past two weeks, and if you want to know more, comment below and I'll post more.

I can't believe I've already been here for a month now! These past several weeks have been amazing, and it has been really great to meet many new people (and animals) and to gain a new family in the complete opposite part of the world! As Maccer's (McDonald's) would say, "I'm lovin' it!" and I want to thank everyone who helped me come to Moruya.

Over the past two weeks, at AAC, we did PT one week, where at one point, during the beep test, it became a "battle of the nations' of sorts because it was just myself and one other kid left. In the end I beat him out. (GO USA!) This past week learned a little bit more of their drill and got some more gear to prepare for AFX (Annual Field Exercise) to Singleton. After, that night, I saw an echidna, which sadly, was hit by a car, but was fighting to live and a couple days later, we saw him borrowing, which meant he was recovering alright. Last Wednesday was my presentation to my hosting Rotary club, which I feel went pretty well, and my host club, and my host families got to learn a bit more about me. (If you want to read it, you can click on this link here.) Thanks to that presentation, one of the Rotarians, Marie, introduced me to a local running club, which I started with this past Wednesday. I ran the 5k in 20:08 after not running much since I got here in Australia. This past Thursday, I had to get my picture taken so I can get an ID card to go on AFX with the AAC. Apparently, it's a huge thing for me to go on this trip and I'm the first to do this (as an exchange student) so my CO had to get high clearance and it doesn't hurt that he has friends in high places. After learning how big a deal it was, I'm now even more excited to go! Last Friday, I went down to the lookout with Kathryn to look for whales and then stayed for the most beautiful sunset. This past Friday at school was International Day, where people dressed up as different cultures, and there was an international food stall at lunch. I'm not creative so I just went as an American, and apparently, I nailed the accent! Additionally, there was a Year 12 vs. Teachers soccer game, in which I played on the Teachers' side. (Teachers lost 2-0) I forgot how much I like soccer before that. That night, I made Aunie's mac&cheese and everyone seemed to like it, even though it was slightly different due to no monterey jack here. Last weekend, was Hannah's 18th birthday, so Saturday, we went out with the family to meet to rest of the family in Narooma. That was a fun day once I got to know everyone a little. Then Sunday, it was a nice bright and early morning, and since 18 is the legal age here, Hannah and Geoff celebrated with shots of vodka; Hannah's face was the best after the shot. Later, we went to her soccer game then she went out with friends to finish off her birthday. Needless to say, we had to take the bus the next morning to school. Finally, this past weekend wasn't nearly as busy. Saturday, Geoff took me up to Deua National Park, about an hour and half out from Moruya. We spent about 2 hours out there and saw plenty of 'roos before heading back home. When we got home, we had Thai for dinner and watched 2 movies before heading off to bed around 12. Sunday, went for a nice run down to the beach and then to the second half of Hannah's soccer game and of course, she did well when I wasn't there, but in the end her team hed the lead 3-2 to advance to the Grand Final this upcoming weekend! We had a late dinner of wings and played Pictionary until we ended with a tie at midnight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's good to see that things are going well for you. - NHRC