Pages

31 October 2013

Changing Families!

Last Friday was just a nice relaxing family night with the Whitings. In the afternoon, Kathryn, Hannah and I went for a walk along the beach (I was going to run but decided against after I was running for about 20 minutes). While on the beach though, there was a family of whales almost putting on a show for us, it seemed! They were breaching and playing around just offshore, which gave us a great view! They seemed to even follow us along the beach, which was really fun and exciting!

Come Saturday, we went up to Old Mogo Town, which is a small gold rush themed park set up as a small town letting visitors see what it would have been like to be in Australia during the gold rush. We went there in the afternoon for a couple hours, in which we explored everything there and went panning for gold. I can proudly say that after that, I won't have to work a day in my life if I want to starve and live in a box. I only got one tiny speck of gold. :/ The people there were very nice though, which made for a good experience. Kathryn's parents and aunt also came up to watch me race the next morning so we had lasagna for tea with them.

The next morning was race time! The race I'm talking about is the Moruya SLSC Town to Surf Fun Run, which is an 8 km race from the town to the beach, or surf, put on by the SLSC (Surf Life Saving Club). The race began at about 9 am in the town and went down the road to the beach. Along the way though, there were several small hills followed by one really huge hill that everyone hates. That is about the 5k mark, and from there its all downhill. I did really well at the beginning with a 17 minute 5k, but by there, I had a blister for some unknown reason and I was just about exhausted. I went from about 7th place overall to around 19th, for the next 2 km. When I think about it, if I wasn't thinking so much about the blister on my foot, I would've held my position better. Once I got to the 7 km mark, though, I was able to push the pain out of my mind and speed up for another 4 minute kilometer, in which I past 2 people to finish in 17th overall out of over 350 people. I finished 6th in my division of 13-17 year olds with a time of 33:31. Overall it was a good race, and I'm happy with my time for my first 8k, although I know I can do better and possibly break 30 minutes in the future.

That afternoon just consisted of resting, packing, and spending a nice last night with the Whitings.

Come Monday, it was an average day at school, followed by an alright afternoon. When I got home, I finished the last minute packing I had to do and then Hannah and I commenced playing Egg Roulette. If you like, you can see the video here. After, my counsellor came to pick me up to bring me off to my next family. It was a little sad to leave the Whitings, but that's part of the exchange, and its a nice thing to be able to stay with even more great people. So, that afternoon I moved in with Peter, Julie, and Will. :)

Tuesday came with school as usual, just with a slight twist on the morning routine. Then for cadets there was some confusion and miscommunication as to how I was getting there, but it has since been resolved, which is good. We did more drill to prepare for March Out, before also having 2 class periods. Wednesday came and I did nothing in the morning besides hanging out and catching up with YouTube. In the afternoon, with nothing else to busy me, I did homework and caught up with everything before going to the running club, where I ran 20:25 this week.

If the link above doesn't work, here is the url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAzfVkj__Rk

No comments: